I wanted to take this opportunity to bring all of you up to speed on some more recent and exciting developments that have been happening in LVBC over the past couple months. First off, we can’t wait to be back on the field in 2021 and playing the game I know you all love. It’s been an interesting journey to get here and we are looking forward to having all of your kids back playing baseball in the most safe and fun way possible. Baseball, in particular, is one sport that we feel is impacted very little by the “new normal” we are experiencing with social distancing guidelines so what we have been able to accomplish and learn from this past summer until now gives us full confidence that we can play without interruption.
The Board and I have been working on some exciting new changes with our program that sets us up to continue to grow our program in a healthy way. The Board met last week and passed the following league changes effective immediately:
- Adjust our pitch count rules to conform to prevailing guidance - This allows our teams to remain competitive while maintaining a focus on safety for our players.
- Introduction of Player Coordinator Position - This role will help us have more visibility to the talent levels of our current players while allowing the club to identify opportunities for continued growth.
- Remove the requirement for all travel players to play Rec baseball - We still strongly encourage all travel players to participate in rec baseball, but understand it should be the choice of those participants to do so given growing time demands of both players and parents.
- Allow for more flexibility within our travel program - The landscape of youth sports continues to evolve and programs like club baseball and other sports remain options during the spring. We have decided that it serves our program and the overall health of baseball in Long Valley to take a more inclusive approach to players that may want to explore what other programs have to offer. That being said, we will allow players who can maintain a specific level of commitment to Long Valley baseball to continue to represent their town at the highest level possible, particularly when competing against other towns. When I was playing, there was no better sense of competition and pride than getting a chance to represent my home town against other local towns. This is critical for us to maintain.
- We will be holding tryouts for a Summer All-Star team at certain age levels for this summer. Tryouts will be held in May. Stay tuned for messaging regarding those tryout dates and times. And while you’re at it, feel free to follow us on Facebook (Long Valley Baseball Club), Twitter (@LVBaseballClub), and Instagram (@lvbaseballclub) to make sure you keep current with all LVBC information.
A full list of these changes and our updated By-Laws and Charter can be found here!
Some other exciting things we would love to note for everyone! We will look to re-open our concession stand this spring. After a year hiatus due to the pandemic, it will be great to have people back at Palmer Park and concessions are a fun part of that. We also recently switched our uniform vendor and opened a team store for our travel program. Destination Athlete is now our provider of uniforms and we are excited about our new partnership. We will look to open this store for our rec teams as well shortly. Lastly, we are planning to make improvements to the batting cages at Palmer Park. For those of you who have used them in the past, you likely know that they are starting to wear in the batters boxes. We will fix those before the season starts so we are ready to go!
One final reminder to all of you that the Spring Rec Baseball signups are closing soon. The deadline for registration is March 10th. You can sign up at www.longvalleybaseball.org. Don’t miss out on the chance to play this spring. If anyone is interested in getting more involved in LVBC, start by attending a board meeting. Board meetings are held every month, please email email@example.com for the next meetings details!
Thank you all for your continued support and Go Wolfpack!
Nick Miele- President, Long Valley Baseball Club